As Senator, Obama Helped to Make Ukraine Defenseless
A country may never use it’s weapons. They are in place to deter a foreign power from risking a protracted war with loss of life and a destroyed economy. We beat the Soviets with just such a tactic. The Soviet system collapsed without a shot being fired.
The strongest kid in school is rarely ever bullied. He walks about unmolested. When I was in high school I had a good friend whose family was Ukrainian. He was probably the strongest kid in the nation. He was good-natured, and no one ever messed with him. He never had to throw a punch. His reputation preceded him.
It was the fact tht he could do a great deal of damage that kept any antagonists at bay.
This is from the Daily Mail and its Mail Online site:
“Flashback: Senator Obama pushed bill that helped destroy more than 15,000 TONS of ammunition, 400,000 small arms and 1,000 anti-aircraft missiles in Ukraine.
- Obama traveled to Ukraine with Sen. Dick Lugar1 in 2005 just seven months after he became a senator, touring surplus weapons stockpiles
- Most of the small arms and ammunition were left over when Soviets withdrew from Eastern bloc nations, and later dumped in Ukraine
- The two senators secured U.S. funding to help destroy the weapons instead of leaving them intact
- Ukraine exported more than 700,000 small arms in 2004-2007, including 101,000 each to Libya and the UK, and 260,000 to the U.S.
- But most of the ammunition stockpiles – crucial for keeping a standing army battle-ready – were destroyed
- Ukraine is in a staring match with Russian President Vladimir Putin, who has designs on recapturing portions of the former Soviet nation
“As a U.S. senator, Barack Obama won $48 million in federal funding to help Ukraine destroy thousands of tons of guns and ammunition – weapons which are now unavailable to the Ukrainian army as it faces down Russian President Vladimir Putin during his invasion of Crimea.
“In August 2005, just seven months after his swearing-in, Obama traveled to Donetsk in Eastern Ukraine with then-Indiana Republican Senator Dick Lugar, touring a conventional weapons site.
The two met in Kiev with President Victor Yushchenko, making the case that an existing Cooperative Threat Reduction Program covering the destruction of nuclear weapons should be expanded to include artillery, small arms, anti-aircraft weapons, and conventional ammunition of all kinds.”
Read more: DailyMail
- This shows that there’s guilt on both sides of the aisle [↩]